Skip to main content

3: History Sony

In september 1945, Masura Ibuka started a radio repair shop in Tokyo. The next year Akio Morita, his wartime research colleague joined him. On 7 may 1946 they founded a company called Tokyo Telecommunications Engineering Corporation (translated). This company produces the frist Japanees tape recorder, called the Type-G. In the early 1950s, Ibuka traveled to the United States. He was looking for a market for his tape recorder and heard about Bell Labs invention of the transistor. He got Bell to license the transistor technology to his company. The American companies Regency Electronics and Texas instruments built the first transistor radio, Ibuka's company made them commercially successful for the first time. 


In August 1955, His company released the Sony TR-55, this was Japan's first commercially produces transistor radio. That December they released the TR-72, it did very well in Canada, Australia, The Netherlands and Germany.  In the following years they produced many more succesful products like a portable transister, who were pupular under teens. . Sony also launched the world's first integrated circuit radio, the ICR-100 in 1967.  
Based on the succes of the American maket the company changed its name to Sony in 1958.  In 1968, Sony launched the colour television set, Trinitron. The Trinitron was the reason that Sony had been the world's largest TV manufacturer in terms of annual revenue until 2006. 


Sony created many inovative divices over the years. A compact cassette recorder, the Sony TC-50 was launched in 1969. NASA equipped every astronaut with this device from Apollo 7 onwards. The first commercial videocassette recorder. In 1973 Sony received the Emmy awart for developing the Trinitron. The Walkman, launched in 1997, the first stereo cassette player. 


1981 is considered as a starting point for Sony's digital revolution with launching the world's fist Compact Disc player, the Sony CDP-101. It also released a prototype of the world's first commercial electronic still camera in 1981. 
From 1991 when sony released the first commercial lithium-ion battery, it was the leader in the rechargeable battery industy until a massive defective battery scandal in 2006. 
In 1998 it created the first Memory Stick and a year before that the announcement of the SD card. Sadly this was a failure.









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Final Statement of Intent

  My music video is called ‘The Puppet master’. It is a story of the struggle between the individual and society. Society wanting to control the individual and the individual wanting to control themself. My artist name is Nemesis. In the video she represents the individual whose societal puppet is controlled by the hand of society. The only way she can beat it, is by expressing herself through music, Only when she plays, the hand has no power over her. I chose the genre ‘Anthem’ as my inspiration. I define ‘anthem’ as   something that could be used as a symbol for a distinct group. It should be inspirational, speak for someone, uplifting, something with a deep message, but also something that one can dance on. My video concept is all about this. I want to inspire people to think for themselves, realise more the unconscious control and find your voice. This is not a protest video, because with this I am not protesting against society, I am encouraging the individual. My record ...

5: Song Viva La Vida by coldplay

I have chosen the song Viva La Vida (meaning: Long live life), for multiple reseasons. It is an inspiring, motivational song and I lot of power is projected. It is also to great a social experiece out of it, it is easy to sing along. For al these reasons it could be considered an Anthem. I also choos this song, because it has a more orchestral base, mostly done by cellos, therefore the base is not as drumming and heavy as songs with drums, which I prefer. I also love classical laguages and mythology, this song has many refrenses to that, so I think I can do many interesting things with it.  The songs is created by the british rock band Coldplay. Most of their songs can be seen as stories, like for example one of their song the scientist. This makes it not just a random song, without meaning. By telling their stories people are able to conect and that can great validation, hope and inspiration.